Thursday, April 19, 2018

ARC Review: Aru Shah and the End of Time

Hey readers! TBF is only about a month away and I'm getting more and more excited each day. Over my spring break I had the joy of reading Roshani Chokshi's new middle grade adventure Aru Shah and the End of Time a few days before it was released, and it was an incredible adventure.


Twelve-year-old Aru Shah has a tendency to stretch the truth in order to fit in at school. While her classmates are jetting off to family vacations in exotic locales, she'll be spending her autumn break at home, in the Museum of Ancient Indian Art and Culture, waiting for her mom to return from her latest archeological trip. Is it any wonder that Aru makes up stories about being royalty, traveling to Paris, and having a chauffeur? One day, three schoolmates show up at Aru's doorstep to catch her in a lie. They don't believe her claim that the museum's Lamp of Bharata is cursed, and they dare Aru to prove it. Just a quick light, Aru thinks. Then she can get herself out of this mess and never ever fib again.
But lighting the lamp has dire consequences. She unwittingly frees the Sleeper, an ancient demon whose duty it is to awaken the God of Destruction. Her classmates and beloved mother are frozen in time, and it's up to Aru to save them. The only way to stop the demon is to find the reincarnations of the five legendary Pandava brothers, protagonists of the Hindu epic poem, the Mahabharata, and journey through the Kingdom of Death. But how is one girl in Spider-Man pajamas supposed to do all that?

I truly adored every part of this novel, and the adventure it took me on. Firstly, I absolutely loved loved loved the cast of characters. I've always loved Roshani's characters and this book did not disappoint. Aru is an incredible and hilarious narrator, Mini is an adorable best friend and Boo is one of the best animal sidekicks I've ever read about. While the writing in this story was different than the dazzling and picturesque writing found in Roshani's YA books, her descriptions of all the incredible places our heroes visited still left me wonderstruck. Going into this novel, I knew very little about Hindu Mythology, but I quickly learned about many of the gods, stories, and heroes of the mythology, leaving me wanting to know even more. Just like Rick Riordan taught me all I know about Greek mythology, I have the feeling my knowledge and appreciation of Hindu myths will only grow as the series progresses.

One of the main things I loved about this novel though, was how nostalgic it made me for about seven years ago, when I first read a Percy Jackson book and my love for reading took root in me. I have the feeling Aru Shah will be that series for a whole new generation of readers looking for a book full of adventure, humor, and a hero (or heroine as Aru would correct you) who succeeds against all odds.

I hope to see you all at TBF in a month, make sure you check out all the other great posts and author interviews our other bloggers have put out recently!

Claire


check the book out here!

No comments:

Post a Comment